Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Egg Retrieval day

Today me and Lucy had our surgeries.  Things went REALLY well for both of us!!!

Lets start with the egg retrieval.  We triggered at midnight on Sunday for our noon appointment today.  I wasn't allowed to eat anything after midnight last night, so I stayed up late (for me) and had a nice little meal at about 11:45pm.  Then we slept in a little bit and left early to make a few quick shopping stops (an exchange, and to get some diet food for puppy) before getting to the REs office at 11:30.  We had to go to the Rochester campus, which is about 90 minutes away.

I got called back fairly quickly, changed, and a nurse prepped my IV.  Believe it or not, this was not only my first time under any kind on anesthesia, but it was also my first IV ever.
Everything crossed (pre-IV).  Hoping for a great retrieval!

They took my into the operating room, and Josh went off to do his thing.  He said the resources here were better than last time, I think he described them as "acceptable."  Lucky man, they even had videos.

Random tangent: There are some things about this process that suck, and there are other things you just get over.  The emotionally toll everything takes will never get old.  Needles and shots - I'm over it.  Doesn't bother me in the slightest anymore.  Laying on a table half naked with your legs spread in the air in front of a room full of people - I'm kind of over that too.  A little scary, I know.

So anyway, the nurse walks me into the OR and gets me situated on the table.  After the embryologist, RE, and anesthesiologist check my wrist-band to make sure they have the right person, I get a dose of the anesthesia.  I remember a nurse focusing a huge light on my crotch, then nothing.  I was out in literally seconds.  The next thing I knew, I was waking up in a recovery room.

Josh was still doing his thing (he had to wait a bit to go back, and my procedure only took about 20 minutes), so I just laid there in a dazed state for a while.  Soon Josh was sitting next to me again, and we talked for a bit.  Eventually I got some juice and crackers to munch on, and then they delivered the news:
27 eggs!
We were THRILLED.  Thank you, rock-star ovaries.  Thank you.

That is just so awesome.  We were hoping to get about 20, which would have been amazing, but 27 just made our day.  Now I'm definitely feeling it.  I was reminded again that the more eggs they take out, the higher the risk of OHSS.  So I just really need to take it easy these next couple days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On the way home, we got an update on puppy.  Her surgery went beautifully too!!    She was recovering well and awake.  The vet expects a full recovery :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment