Monday, December 19, 2011

Chemical Pregnancy

Its over.  My beta today was 2.6.

I'm sad.  I'm also angry, frustrated, confused, heartbroken, and I don't know what else.  We transferred a perfect blastocyst into my uterus with perfect lining.  Everything was textbook.  What went wrong?  Obviously that little blast tried to implant - I got enough of an hCG rise to detect on a digital test.  Did I not rest enough after transfer?  Did I bend or twist or lift something a little too heavy?  Was the shower too hot? Did I not get enough protein or other nutrients?    Geez.... I know all of this is silly, but I can't help but wonder what the heck went wrong.  A little Dr. Google informed us that implantation failure is actually the least understood issue with the IVF process.  We will probably never get an answer.  Success rates aren't 100%, and even though we couldn't have asked for a better cycle, sometimes these things just happen.

I can't describe what it feels like to lose something you never really had.  I wonder if it would hurt any less had I not insisted on testing at home.  Had we waited for the blood test, we might not have been as shocked by the beta numbers.  But then again.... I had 100 times more hope for this cycle than any of the others.  So yeah, it probably would have hurt just as much.  BFNs suck, and IVF BFNs suck ten times as hard.  I hate this.  I got my ugly cry on and opened a bottle of my favorite wine from 45 North.  The holidays are going to suck, but at least I can drink through them.

The silver lining in all of this is that we also got 10 snowbabies out of this cycle.  We should be able to do a frozen embryo transfer (FET) early next year.

I'm not entirely sure whats next.  We've stopped all meds.  I go in for another blood draw Wed to see if my level is back to zero.  I should start my period soon, and I think I can start BCPs and then Lupron for our FET.  Hopefully I can run again for a little bit.  We have an appointment with the RE on January 3rd to figure out what went wrong and come up with a plan.

So watch out 2012, this is going to be our year.  I just can't wait any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment