Friday, December 2, 2011

Transfer time, and one final question

My nurse called this afternoon, and our transfer is set for 9:45am on Sunday.  Eek! It is so weird to think that in two days, I will be pregnant, and that I know this piece of information.

I have been thinking about our embryos every day.  I pray they are growing strong.  I hope that all of the cells continue to multiply each day and that they are high enough quality to freeze.

And at home, the debate rages on:  1 or 2?  How many should we transfer?  Josh and I have discussed this from the day we decided to pursue IVF.  We started out saying that if we had one of the highest possible quality blastocysts and were doing a day 5 transfer, we would transfer one beautiful blast.  We are pretty sure our RE is going to recommend transferring two - he has a pretty aggressive approach to this process and he is a statistics guy.  I think (though I can't confirm either way) that the numbers show a slightly higher success rate when transferring more than one blast.  And put it this way, would we rather be pregnant with two babies or zero?  Well, that answer is easy (two).  But, we would still prefer a singleton pregnancy.  We will have more children in the future, so its not that we don't want more than one.  Josh and I are both on the same page on this one, just neither of us are sure what our final decision will be.  This is going to be a game time decision - we need to see exactly what quality blasts we are working with and talk to the doctor.  Then, we will just have to follow our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment