Sunday, December 4, 2011

Today, I am carrying our baby

Pregnant until proven otherwise, or PUPO as it is known on some message boards I visit.

Today we transferred a single, perfect blastocyst into my perfectly homey uterus to snuggle in for the next nine-ish months.  This blast was graded AA - "textbook perfect" my RE called it.  Josh and I are over-the-moon thrilled!

We even got to take home a few pics:  not many people can say they have a picture of themselves at 5 days post-conception:
This is a picture (I am not sure of the magnification) of the AA-grade blast we transferred

Overall, the transfer went very well today.  I had to have a full bladder, but I managed to drink just enough for the doctor but not too much to make me uncomfortable.  I had to have some blood drawn, and then we just waited around to be called back.
Josh had to gown up this time as well, since he did get to come back and hold my hand for the entire procedure.

I was pretty anxious.  I tried to wear fun socks for all my appointments; the nurses usually comment on how much they enjoy seeing all of the colorful and patterned socks people wear. You know, since that is ALL we are allowed to wear.


Our RE was very supportive of our decision to only transfer one.  It was perfect, and we have more very high quality blasts to freeze for future transfers.  Here is the blast is in my uterus after the transfer - yeah, that little white line right there:
Yes!! Baby inside!

After 30 minutes on my back after the procedure, I was sent home on modified bed rest for the next two days - I am to stay off my feet as much as possible.  Josh was told to take very good care of me, and he has certainly met that challenge!  In addition to taking care of Lucy today, Josh got me lunch, made dinner, baked cookies, and then cleaned up the kitchen.  All while I sat of the couch watching On-Demand movies with my feet up.  This has never happened before!!!  I love you, babe!

How many people does it take to make a baby?  In our case, a handful of nurses, the RE, and an embryologist.  Oh yeah, and me and Josh :)  When we decided we were ready to have a baby, we certainly never expected any of this. We are thrilled to have everything go so smoothly so far, as we know that many couples facing IVF incur many additional challenges along the way.  I cannot explain the feeling to know that our baby is possibly {hopefully} growing inside me at this very minute.  But I am still trying to be cautious with my optimism.  We are numbers people.  IVF success rates are not 100%.  We are looking at potential success somewhere around 60%, and that would be a little higher had we transferred two.  At this point, all I can do is take in easy and wait (while our blast implants and grows).  With fingers crossed and lots of prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment