Monday, August 15, 2011

When Bigger is Not Better

Boring post to follow.....

I had a "follie check" today - which is basically a quick vaginal ultrasound of my ovaries to measure the maturation of my follicles this cycle.  Today marks CD11, and I have 1 16mm follicle, and 4 others that are about 13 mm.  At this point, any of the smaller ones could either catch up to the big one and I might have multiple dominant follicles release an egg, or they could back off since another follicle appears to be "dominant."  The nurse said they like to see them 18-24mm for ovulation.  I also had some bloodwork done - E2 (estradiol), LH (luteinizing hormone), and P4 (progesterone).  My LH was a 7.8 - normal levels are 7 or below, but typically you will see a "surge" 24-36 hours before ovulation when levels can get closer to 20 (I'm too lazy to look up what the units should be on these numbers, sorry).   So anyways, I'm making good progress this cycle, and will go back in for another ultrasound and bloodwork on Wednesday.

On my first visit (2 cycles ago), I had 3 very large follicles - over 30mm - and my RE said ovulation was imminent.  I did some reading today, and it turns out bigger may not be better?  Someone said that anything over 26mm isn't likely to release an egg.  I plan to ask about this, and if we should consider using a trigger to induce ovulation before the follicles get too big.  And here I thought I had super-ovaries...... (no links here, because I would not consider the sources of this info even remotely reliable, thanks Google.  But it does make me want more info, so I will at least ask my doc about it and continue looking for other studies about this that I won't feel uneasy about referencing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment