Thursday, July 21, 2011

So is it 10, or 12?

I thought this article welcoming Nebraska to the Big Ten by Rick Reilly was pretty good ("Cornfrontation" - had me laughingout loud!).  And it made me excited for college football all over again.

Starting this fall Nebraska and Colorado are leaving the Big 12 the join the Big Ten and PAC-10, respectively.
So the Big Ten now has 12 teams. (Though it has had 11 since Penn State joined years ago.)
And the Big 12 now has 10 teams.
This is just meant to confuse those learning to count.

I think they need to work on their logo a little more.  (And the division names, I really hate the division names).  I really don't understand why they are trying to make the I and G in BIG look like a 10, since TEN is still the second word.  And there aren't 10 teams, there are 12.  So I just don't get it (though if there were ever 16 teams, the G does look like a 6).  This one isn't as bad:


I don't have any logos of my own to share, but I hope that some marketing kid at one of these schools comes up with something.  I know if I were a marketing professor, my final assignment in all of my classes would be to figure out what to do with the Big 10 to 12 teams mess and come up with a new logo and division names.

I am kind of excited about the conference playing an extra game and determining a champion.  I would like to see them add two more teams in the future, but this is a fine place to start.  I hated the divisional split at first, but I've started to come around.  In any given year, it could play very lopsided, but that happens (look at the Big 12 last year).  They did protect the Michigan-OSU game, but in the future I could see them playing back-to-back weekends.  (Yes, I said in the future.....  both schools have some rebuilding to do.) 

A little more than 7 weeks to go, and we start the era of Hoke.  GOOOO BLUE!

No comments:

Post a Comment