Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hot, Hot, Hot!

I know, it could be so much worse.  I'm lucky I only live in Michigan!

Essy (our Escape) said it was way too hot to run this afternoon!

I suppose the treadmill is one popular way to get a workout in and beat the heat.  While I do run on the treadmill, its not my favorite.  So to get my 6-mile pace run in today, I woke up at 5 AM and got running before the sun came up. (and it was still 72'F out)

It was even too early for Lucy!

It was very peaceful (listening to the hum of air conditioners everywhere), but it was still a sweat-fest in no time because of how humid it was.  I'm glad I got this in today, because with the low tonight being 79'F, I think tomorrow is a great rest day.

Some mornings I make a protein shake to take into work, and I usually have one after long runs on the weekend.  Today I made myself a Chocolate-Peanut Butter-Banana-Protein-Green Monster-Smoothie.  As Josh put it, "That looks disgusting."  I know, but its sooooo good!  And I promise, you do NOT taste the spinach!  Its just bonus veggies - you are getting all the nutrients (in the raw state) and you don't even know you are eating them. 
There is no real recipe here, I just throw everything into my magic bullet mug.  You can laugh at the Magic Bullet blender all you want, but it is so nice and small, I can leave it on my counter top and use it all the time!

Blend together:
Frozen banana, I only used a half, and then some additional ice
1 Tbsp peanut butter, I use the all natural stuff that Josh hates because it separates
~1 cup milk, I use almond milk to cut down on the calories, and Dark Chocolate is a special treat (I usually use regular unsweetened)
Whey protein powder, chocolate variety (I use 1 scoop after a workout, but only a 1/2 scoop on non-workout mornings)
Stuff as much spinach in as will fit

I'll post the berry variety later (its easy though:  frozen berries, protein powder, milk, spinach).  That version looks even greener!

No comments:

Post a Comment