Thursday, July 14, 2011

NRoLFW...hat??????

Yeah, say that 10 times fast.  What the heck am I talking about?

The New Rules of Lifting for Women


This is what I've been up to in the gym.  I started the program last summer, but work got busy and I backed off it for a while.  I started up again in May, and am currently in Stage 3 of 7.  The program takes roughly 6 months at 2-3 workouts per week (I've been on the low end given my running.)  Regardless of the fact that I haven't compelted the program, I thought I'd share my thoughts on the book.  (So don't take this too seriously.)

First of all, I think women need to lift heavy, but are often afraid to.  Screw the 5-pound dumbbell bicep curls.  Lou uses the first part of the book to explain that women's muscles will not get as big as a man's, but in order to get them bigger and stronger you still need to overload them with progressively heavier weights.  The second part of the book focuses on eating/dieting.... I haven't really followed this part, but diet is probably the most important thing you can change to transform your body (note to self...  put down the candy!).  He outlines the importance of protein while building muscle.  He also includes some meal plans, which I also have not tried.  The third portion of the book details all of the workout programs (by Alwyn Cosgrove), divided into 7 stages, with descriptions and pictures of all the exercises. 

Yes, I am so awesome I thought I needed to take a pic of myself flexing in the mirror and share it with you

I really like that the workouts focus on compound exercises, ones that work more than one muscle group at a time (no bicep curls here!).  We are talking squats, deadlifts, planks.  Each workout is a total body workout.  I love this type of structure to my gym visits, I can stay focused and on-track (the rest intervals are even timed out for you), and it also makes using the free weights and cable machines less intimidating (Am I using this right?  What should I do now?).  I don't think this book is for complete weightlifting beginners, but I also don't think it is too advanced.  I keep track of all my weights and reps so that I can continue to improve the next workout.

I have tried a few different weightlifting routines in the past, including Tabata-style lifting and P90X.  I like all of these programs for different reasons.  The most important thing to me is variety, so I plan to keep mixing it up every so often.

Having said all of that... I think I am going to take a break from NRoLFW after Stage 3.  As Lou explains in the book, this type of program contradicts any type of endurance training you may be doing, which includes marathon training.  Here you are trying to build your muscles up, while long distance running leans them out.  Since I like to keep things balanced, I think I will just focus on running for a while (with a little P90X video here and there to add some strength training), and will pick the weights back up come fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment