Monday, July 25, 2011

Bleeding Blue

Literally (well, almost).  This post has nothing to do with my alma mater, the University of Michigan, or my ESPN screen name BleedingBlue05.  I had a HSG today.
Yes, you needed to see this.  Please ignore the goofy look on my face, I'm about to laugh at how ridiculous we are sometimes.

HSG = hysterosalpingogram, or basically an x-ray of my uterus and fallopian tubes.  My RE injected a blue dye into my uterus and fallopian tubes via a catheter with a small balloon on the end.  Then the radiologist took an x-ray of my abdomen – we were able to see the images immediately, and my RE declared everything looks great!  We could see the dye fill my uterus and fallopian tubes and "leak" out each ovary.  Yea !  The first fertility exam we’ve passed!  My uterus is of normal size and shape and both tubes are open and unobstructed.  And since what goes is must come out…. I’ll be “bleeding” blue for the next day or two.

Josh got to stay with me for the entire procedure.  It was nice to have him there.  Doesn’t he look stunning in his lead apron?
Ok, so maybe we are a little wierd for taking pics in the xray room.  But it was all I could do to get Josh to drop Angry Birds....

The procedure wasn’t overly painful, but there were moments of extreme discomfort.  I was actually shocked at how quick it was – I had an 11:00 am appointment, but was asked to be there a half hour early.  We waited about 10 minutes before being called back, and the nurse had me all prepped and waiting on the table by about 10:50.  The doctor showed up just before 11:00, and we were walking back to the car at 11:15.  I’ve had some cramping on and off all afternoon (I didn’t go back to work), but it can’t be that bad since I managed to get in a 7-mile pace run this evening (7.03 mi, 1:01:30, 8:45 pace).  I don’t feel quite so bad about laying around on the couch all afternoon watching junk TV – like 13 Going on 30, which is only bearable because I like Jennifer Garner.

Anyways, first successful fertility test.  We will proceed with another round of Clomid as soon as this cycle ends.  On a positive note, I have read that birth control pills should shrink any cysts on my ovaries and yield more even-growing follicles next cycle.  Still trying to find the positives each step of the way…..

No comments:

Post a Comment