Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Boo-yah!

After back-to-back series sweeps of the White Sox and Indians respectively, I am totally comfortable getting ready to cheer my Tigers through October:
That's right, they have a 99.5% chance of making it to the postseason, even higher than Boston (by a tiny bit).  With a 9 game lead in the division, they barely need to play .500 ball to clinch, and that assumes the other teams win out.  Considering the Tigers haven't won their division in over 20 years, this is huge!  When Detroit went to the World Series in 2006 (as the wild card), I was living in Green Bay.  Of course I watched all the games, but it just wasn't the same as being in a town also rooting for that team.

And I can't let this post go without mentioning Justin Verlander again.  22 wins!!!  10 straight winning decisions!  Even when he is "off" JV stills looks pretty good.  While he is a lock for the AL Cy Young in my opinion (though I have seen some decent arguments for CC and even Weaver), I am also on board with JV being considered for MVP.  I fully understand why some people think the MVP should be reserved for a position player who takes the field and helps their team every day.  BUT - the award is designated for the MOST valuable player - and if that player should only happen to play 30-some games, so be it.  I won't go through the stats here, but what JV has done for the Tigers is undeniable.  I do not think he will walk away as the AL MVP this season, but I do expect to see him finish near the top of the voting (lets say top 3-ish).  But if he does win, you certainly won't hear me arguing otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment