Thursday, September 29, 2011

Crim 10 Mile Race Review

Race: Crim 10 Mile
Official Time: 1:33:34, 9:22 pace
Overall Place: 3246 / 9610
Division Place: 138 / 551
Sex Place: 928 / 4946

5 mile split: 45:53
7 mile split: 1:05:07

On Saturday August 27, I ran the Crim 10 mile race in Flint, MI.  I wasn't really feeling into it since I've been having so much foot pain, but I wanted to give it my best shot.  Earlier in my training I set a goal for this race of 1:30.  I knew that would be a stretch for this day, but I was still hoping to PR this race since my running has come a long way since I last ran it 2 years ago (in 1:37:something).  At least I achieved one of those two things!

We woke up early to drive down to Flint, leaving the house by 5:50.  (We left Lucy at home for this race.)  I needed to pick up my bib and I wanted to be parked before they started closing the streets at 7 am (for an 8:00 start).  There was a short line of cars getting of the expressway, but it didn't take us long to get into the UofM lot.  We walked down to the expo area so I could get my bib, and the line there moved very quickly.  I looked around the expo a little, and ended up picking up a few Gus and sports beans for the rest of my training.

We headed back outside (it was a beautiful morning, temps in the 60s).  I used the porta potty, then stretched a little bit.  They had water available, and were playing a good mix of music at the start.  I went to the bathroom again before heading to line up.  Josh went to find a place to cheer me on.
Before the start, ready as I'll ever be

We lined up by some tall buildings, and my Garmin was having an issue locating satellites, so I was walking around trying to get it to register.  It finally did, and just a hair after 8:00 we were off!  Then - crap.  A half mile in and I realize my Garmin is set to bike mode.  Oops.  So I stopped it and switched it to run, but my splits were messed up for this race.  And I had to remember to add 4 minutes to whatever it was showing for my time, but at least I had my pace.

The first few miles weren't bad, a few loops through downtown and some gradual hills.  I felt a little discomfort in my foot, but no real pain, and definitely nothing I couldn't run through.  I was struggling with my pace early, but it really tanked once I hit the hills around mile 5.  I took a Gu, and walked up a steep hill or two.  I couldn't believe I was walking already - it was only mile 5! 

That was only the tip of the iceberg when it came to walking, I took a lot of breaks.  I was walking through every water station, and in between too.  I'm not sure I believe the elevation map they posted online - it looks like the last bit of the course flattens out, but dang, it sure seemed like there were a lot more hills out there.  Just when you think they are over, and people are holding signs saying "its all downhill from here," you turn the corner only to see another climb.

So I chugged along through the back half, and then motored to the finish.  At least the stretch to the finish is all downhill!
Finishing strong.  Josh is a pretty decent race photographer, when he sees me anyway.

All in all, it was an ok race.  My foot hurt quite a bit after I stopped running.  I think I need to do a little more hill work before Brooksie Way so I don't struggle on that course as much, because I think it is even more hilly than this one!  After the race, I collected the standard goodies before finding Josh and heading over to the post-race party.  We stood in a ridiculously long line for our beer and pizza (thanks to whomever gave us their unused bib tickets for Josh) and found a place to sit to take a breather.
Yum, beer.... yeah, not really.  I had a few sips and dumped the rest.  I know......

The Crim has grown a lot in recent years, I think I heard they had over 10,000 runners in the 10 mile race.  That is crazy!  But having said that, I think they need to consider wave starts in the future.  The first two miles were really pretty crowded.  Runners have the whole street, but there are so many turns in the first two miles that everyone bunches up.  This run was really affordable, I think $30-something if you signed up early.  I did a combo entry with the Brooksie Way half and I paid $66 for both.  My only other complaint is that they should just do tech shirts instead of t-shirts.  You can pay extra for one, but I think a 10-mile race is long enough to just do the tech shirts, even if they have to raise registration fees by $5.

Maybe I'll be back next year, maybe not.  We'll just have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment