Monday, November 7, 2011

Hello, legs, there you are!

Whew, finally!  I finally managed a good tempo run this afternoon, my first pace run since the marathon.  I have struggled to keep a sub-10:00 pace on my runs lately; I feel like I'm running fast, but I'm not.  Lately, my normal, relaxed 9:xx pace has just taken soooo much effort. 

Until today.  I enjoyed some unseasonably warm November weather for Michigan (60 degrees).  I started off on my run with no specific plan, but about a 1/2 mile in, Garmin showed me I was running at a 9:20 pace.  I thought, "Huh, this isn't so bad.  I'm gonna push it a bit."  I finished the first mile in 9:06, and decided to keep pushing it since I only had time for 3-4 miles.  I was working hard, but just on the edge of uncomfortable.  Mile 2 ticked by in 8:42, and mile 3 in 8:28.  I stalked Garmin that last half mile, and kept with it for an 8:25 pace.  Whew! 

3.52 miles pace, 30:38, 8:42 average pace.  My legs are back, baby! 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The New York City Marathon was on Sunday.  Geoffrey Mutai is amazing.  He unofficially ran the fastest marathon ever in Boston in April of this year, and then he went and shattered the course record on his way to winning NYC.  Wow. 

I bring up the NYC marathon, because it is officially on the top of my "Marathons I Want to Run List."  Actually, its the only race on the list.  I don't plan to spend the rest of my life running marathons, but when I get the itch, I plan to scratch.  And at some point, I want to run NYC.  After reading race reviews, seeing pictures, and reading about just how AWESOME it is, I so want to be a part of it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment